I wanted to use the same mask for the next session but with using different colours.
Having a read around other blogs there was one other idea to get a good registration:
Use one plate. Print the negative mask first, then put the mask onto the used plate and ink up over the mask. The instructions stated its better to use a soft rubber roller for this technique, mine hasn’t yet arrived but I had a go.
It was clear that this process would not be possible without the softer roller. Because of the lack of give in the roller that I had it was almost impossible to ink around the mask successfully. I will try this again when my other roller arrives.
The next technique I tried was to make masks out of ver thin plastic cut from plastic polyfolders and then laying this over an already inked up plate. This produced some very interesting textures but it was very hard to get a successful print.
The final technique I tried for this session was to use two plates as I had done the day before. Printing the positive image first, then laying the positive mask over that printed paper and laying the plate over the top. I didn’t have my husband available today so instead I moved the plate and paper to the floor and placed a board over the top then applied foot pressure initially.
Foot pressure wasn’t strong enough to transfer the print completely but it gave enough suction from mask to ink that it allowed me to turn the paper and plate over so that I could hand burnish the rest. And although this approach was a bit cumbersome it worked well in producing good alignment between the two masks.
For the final element of the session I tried overprinting some of the ghosts from the day before. The paper had dried and this resulted in more texture and atmosphere in the final prints.