Project 11: Making a Test Block (Part One)

Initially I decided to make two large c. A3 size test blocks using various organic and man-made materials. I used: sticks, dried leaves, ferns, grasses, feathers, tissue paper, fabric, cotton wool,  fishing wire, thread, tissue paper, and masking tape. I used modelling paste to stick these onto a piece of mountboard.

Referring to the notes in the course handbook I dampened paper and made a print via hand burnishing, unfortunately the results were extremely disappointing.

Learning points:

  • I was unable to produce enough pressure to force the paper down between the materials.
  • I need to use lower level materials to get a better result.
  • There needs to be more structure to the plate. Too much texture is overwhelming: it seems that less is certainly more with collagraph.

I need to revisit this exercise in order to try to improve my results.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s