Project 13: Further design work

In response to my tutor’s feedback I am trying to incorporate research into my practice so there is a stronger relationship and connection between the two. Looking at the work of Luc Tuymans in my sketchbook I can see some parallels- the use of subtle colours and distortions of found imagery.
I wanted to continue working with the theme of associated memories / thoughts about my father and used a found image of him as a young boy for the initial monotype. This worked well when I focussed on the tonal areas.

Needing to consider how I could incorporate linocut I copied the image of the boy a number of times and experimented with different backgrounds.

I had been looking at the paintings of Essam Marouf and like the contrast of the dark flat background against the coloured portraits. I decided a plain background looked the best here.

Further research on Pinterest led me to exploring how artists have employed negative space to depict absence and loss. I had the idea of using a picture of my mum’s best friend who had died early. I quite liked the idea, but felt it wasn’t in keeping with this set of images depicting Dad. It is something that I will come back to when I am on the next project though.

Instead I started to play around with some family photos from a holiday in Wales. My father was there- in the image, yet I have very few real memories of being with him- again thinking about that idea if there but not there- present but absent.

I came across some screen prints of Marilyn by Richard Hamilton. I was initially drawn to them by the colours and then after reading about them further meanings became clear- how the actress had ‘attacked’ these images with nail polish, nail files or scissors to obliterate her own image. The meaning behind was at odds with the prettiness of the colours, which I found interesting.

I had a play around with adding different colours to the photos and to my previous print designs just to try something different out, but I wasn’t convinced that these ‘pop’ colours worked within this context.