I started the day with more overprinting on previous prints. I was really pleased with how one was progressing, but I was using thinner, finer Japanese paper which resulted in me overburnishing a hole in it, this was very frustrating. Its interesting – I need to change the process dependent on the paper I am using.
I enjoyed building up the layers. I decided it was not necessary to be exact with the placement of the masks or alignment as I found the misalignment added to the feeling of movement. I was pleased with the registration of the plates and felt that these final prints were quite successful.
I then moved on to my final design, which had progressed from a William Blake plate. I kept simplifying the shape until it was something I could work with. I again followed the same process as before – creating a paper cut, then scanning this in and playing with different colours on the PC. In these versions I liked the greyish hues the best, and I thought it would be fun to try and colour match the ink colour through the mixing process.
The soft rubber roller had arrived which improved the process somewhat. I think this could be improved even further with a smaller roller, but this I would not be able to afford for a while so I needed to make do.
I produced a number of prints from this image. I definitely felt I had got the hang of the registration process and applying the ink successfully.
The more textured versions were definitely more appealing to me, although the lack of contrast in terms of ink colour meant that the figure was a little indescript in places, which was entirely what the brief was asking for. This might be something that I can work up with backdrawing in the future.
There was quite a lot of ink left at the end of the session so I had a quick play with back drawing just to experiment. I clearly hadn’t got to grips with it as a lot of ink was coming through onto the paper. I was too tired to keep on with this but when I come back to this process I need to:
• use less ink
• potentially use thicker paper to reduce transfer
• I also want to try with different implements to make different quality of marks.