Experiments in Mark-making pt 1

From previous study with the OCA I have found that taking extra time to practice making marks and trying a variety of media and processes can pay dividends throughout the course so I took some time over this exercise.

Gelatin printing: Using 8” gelli plate & acrylic paint

Black open acrylics on copier paper.

• Good transfer quality.
• Good for creating interesting textures – the plate retains the texture of the objects well and the ghost print provides an almost photographic quality of detail.
• Regret getting a circular format as is quite limiting compositionally.
• Like moonlike forms – possible inspiration for future work.
• Hard to register circle on paper – need to give this more thought and preparation in the future.
• Like reductive method – brushstrokes very clear and visible.

Colour: fluid acrylics

• More fluid paint interesting textures as paper is pulled from the surface.
• Dries very quickly with no medium added – not as clean transfer.
• If thin paint with water, beads up on surface.
• If thin paint with a little open thinners works better.
• Tried using a small rectangular mask over the plate and overprinting – gives scope for greater versatility.
• Used titanium white acrylic with no medium over surface – rolled over surface and quickly pulled a print – old bit of paint from previous printing came through – like this a lot.

Using caligo safe wash oil relief inks on Perspex plate.

Monochrome: blue /black palette

• Added oil to ink – need to be careful not to add too much as it leeches through the paper and the brushstroke marks are not visible.
• Applying ink using different brushes – particularly like the texture from bristle brushes.
• Enjoyed using cotton bugs and kitchen roll to remove ink in certain areas.
• First attempt printed on cartridge paper , burnished with brayer – liked the result.
• Closer inspection – would prefer cleaner print – a bit patchy in places, need to take more care with burnishing.
• The ghost didn’t come out at all.
• Rolled a thin layer of ink over plate and removed ink with cotton buds, baby wipes & kitchen roll. Quite liked the plate but it didn’t transfer particularly well. Possibly removed too much ink – maybe I need to be more subtle with this technique. It has great potential for creating atmosphere.
• I drew into the inked plate with the end of a brush – the result was very subtle, the lines were not clear to see.
• Chose to do backdrawing over next ghost print, which worked quite nicely.
• Final bit of ink on plate – chose to use a spoon to burnish and this came out ok.

Oil inks have great potential. They stay wet longer meaning there is a reasonable transfer.

Next steps:
Like to try a range of colours and papers with these inks. For these initial experiments I used a range of blues which has made it difficult to distinguish each mark, I will use 3 contrasting colours next.

Advertisements