I decided to work from photographs for this particular print. My photography is not the best, but it is something I want to work on. I took a few shots of a nearby Iron Age Hill Fort, Eggarden Hill. Continue reading
I have been exploring ideas in my small sketchbook for this particular print. Continue reading →
I started the day with more overprinting on previous prints. I was really pleased with how one was progressing, but I was using thinner, finer Japanese paper which resulted in me overburnishing a hole in it, this was very frustrating. Its interesting – I need to change the process dependent on the paper I am using.
I enjoyed building up the layers. I decided it was not necessary to be exact with the placement of the masks or alignment as I found the misalignment added to the feeling of movement. I was pleased with the registration of the plates and felt that these final prints were quite successful.
I then moved on to my final design, which had progressed from a William Blake plate. I kept simplifying the shape until it was something I could work with. I again followed the same process as before – creating a paper cut, then scanning this in and playing with different colours on the PC. In these versions I liked the greyish hues the best, and I thought it would be fun to try and colour match the ink colour through the mixing process.
The soft rubber roller had arrived which improved the process somewhat. I think this could be improved even further with a smaller roller, but this I would not be able to afford for a while so I needed to make do.
I produced a number of prints from this image. I definitely felt I had got the hang of the registration process and applying the ink successfully.
The more textured versions were definitely more appealing to me, although the lack of contrast in terms of ink colour meant that the figure was a little indescript in places, which was entirely what the brief was asking for. This might be something that I can work up with backdrawing in the future.
There was quite a lot of ink left at the end of the session so I had a quick play with back drawing just to experiment. I clearly hadn’t got to grips with it as a lot of ink was coming through onto the paper. I was too tired to keep on with this but when I come back to this process I need to:
• use less ink
• potentially use thicker paper to reduce transfer
• I also want to try with different implements to make different quality of marks.
I wanted to use the same mask for the next session but with using different colours.
Having a read around other blogs there was one other idea to get a good registration:
Use one plate. Print the negative mask first, then put the mask onto the used plate and ink up over the mask. The instructions stated its better to use a soft rubber roller for this technique, mine hasn’t yet arrived but I had a go.
It was clear that this process would not be possible without the softer roller. Because of the lack of give in the roller that I had it was almost impossible to ink around the mask successfully. I will try this again when my other roller arrives.
The next technique I tried was to make masks out of ver thin plastic cut from plastic polyfolders and then laying this over an already inked up plate. This produced some very interesting textures but it was very hard to get a successful print.
The final technique I tried for this session was to use two plates as I had done the day before. Printing the positive image first, then laying the positive mask over that printed paper and laying the plate over the top. I didn’t have my husband available today so instead I moved the plate and paper to the floor and placed a board over the top then applied foot pressure initially.
Foot pressure wasn’t strong enough to transfer the print completely but it gave enough suction from mask to ink that it allowed me to turn the paper and plate over so that I could hand burnish the rest. And although this approach was a bit cumbersome it worked well in producing good alignment between the two masks.
For the final element of the session I tried overprinting some of the ghosts from the day before. The paper had dried and this resulted in more texture and atmosphere in the final prints.